Booking Your Ceremony Site Checklist
1. Choose your site and officiant and confirm in writing; include your wedding date and time.
2. If you’ll need to rent anything, contact a rental company (your florist may be able to supply some items):
- Ceremony chairs #
- Columns or arch
- Wire stands for flowers
3. Research ceremony readings and religious or ethnic ceremony customs or traditions; set up a second meeting to discuss these with your officiant.
4. Ask your officiant for a copy of his or her standard ceremony so that you can make changes to suit you (if allowed). If prewedding counseling is required, schedule it and go.
5. Finalize the overall structure and elements of the ceremony (readings, lighting candles, special rituals), as well as who will participate in each.
6. Determine which of the following ceremony items you will need; start shopping or make arrangements to have them made:
- Ketubah or other marriage contract (for example, Quaker)
- Unity candle (or sand for a sand ceremony)
- Aisle runner
- Ring pillow
- Something to toss
- Flower girl basket
- Other elements (such as a broom for the jumping of the broom or crowns for a Greek Orthodox ceremony)
7. If you’ll write your own vows, start working on them together at least two months before the wedding; consult your officiant if you need help.